I’ve noticed that the more I read magazines for women, the more depressed I feel. Reason: All that cute, gorgeous, chic, elegant, classy and oh, did I mention unaffordable designer stuff that is so rudely mocking at me off the pages. Not to mention, when I go mall-hopping on the weekends, all I do is window shopping. Sigh. No better way to dampen your spirits.
No really, think about it. How many of us can really afford that Dhs15,000 red clutch or a pair of Dhs5,000 nude heels that probably cost the same as feeding a small village in a poor nation?
What about us average Janes and Joes next door? Why should the lowest percentage of population with practically unlimited moolah have all the fun?
To be a little fair, magazines do try to find the best deals in town that successfully emulate designer wear. But their idea of affordable is everything from $100-$500 (Dhs367-Dhs1,835). And that is still 5x over the top.
Luckily, the human race has been endowed with creativity – and lots of it. It’s amazing what you can do with just a pair of scissors, a needle and thread and your imagination. And your old clothes of course.
Do-It-Yourself fashion (or upcycled fashion) is by no means new but has become the rage in recent years, ever since the word ‘recession’ became a part of a lot of people’s vocabularies. An even bigger plus point is that DIY fashion is super kind to our one and only planet. But the best part is, what you make is one-of-a-kind. No one else will be sporting it. Green, pocket friendly and unique, go figure!
So before you throw away those faded jeans from 10 years ago, try turning them into a cute pair of shorts for the summer. Your pocket will thank you for it later.
Speaking of summer, which has just arrived, here are 5 awesome DIY projects I came across that will transform your oldies into Summer 2013 chic and you into the talk of the town (in a good way of course).
1) What happens when lace and denim get together for the summer? Try these two lovely tutorials to transform the back pocket of your denim jeans/shorts into a lace one and a little peek-a-boo lace so cleverly incorporated into your shorts.
2) Flip-flops are must-haves for summers. So why limit yourself to those boring, plasticky ones? Try making these 10 easy-peasy flip-flops at home!
3) Your designer bags might give up on you but totes are a woman’s best friend in the summers. You will regret not trying this no-sew creative tote.
4) A little bohemian never hurt anyone. An amazing project that turns an old tank into a funky fringe top.
5) Who would’ve thought an over-sized, elderly dress can turn into quite the sexy number? And you don’t even need to learn how to use the sewing machine for this paisley summer dress !
Hey, even designer Karl Lagerfeld said, “Never use the word “cheap”. Today everybody can look chic in inexpensive clothes (the rich buy them too). There is good clothing design on every level today. You can be the chicest thing in the world in a T-shirt and jeans — it’s up to you.”